Westlake Village & Thousand Oaks Divorce Attorney

Annulment Lawyer in Westlake Village, CA

Who would qualify for an annulment in California?

In California, there are three different ways that a couple can initiate the dissolution of their marriage: filing for divorce, obtaining a legal separation or seeking an annulment. Unlike a divorce or legal separation, an annulment would render a marriage null and void—which means that it would no longer be recognized as a legal marriage in the state of California. For this reason, there are very few circumstances under which a couple could be granted an annulment. Also known as a nullity of marriage or nullity of domestic partnership, an annulment may be granted by the court if you can establish that one of the following conditions exists:

  • One spouse is a minor (younger than 18)
  • One spouse is legally married to another person
  • The marriage involves two blood relatives
  • One spouse was coerced into the marriage
  • The marriage is based on fraud or deceit
  • One spouse cannot consummate the marriage
  • One spouse suffers from a mental illness

Voiding a Marriage that is Based on Fraud, Deception or Deceit

When one or both parties enter into a marriage for fraudulent, deceitful or deceptive purposes, the union can be voided through an annulment. While this can include a number of different circumstances, some of the most common instances of deceit include failing to disclose information about sterility or pregnancy prior to the wedding, denying promised sexual relationships, denying one spouse the opportunity to have children when previously promised, using marriage for the purpose of securing a green card, using deceptive practices to coerce or manipulate one party into getting married or failing to disclose information about a criminal record and/or fugitive status. If you are interested in annulling your marriage for any of these reasons, our Westlake Village divorce attorneys are here to help.

Speak with Our Board Certified Family Law Specialist

Wondering if you qualify for an annulment in California? Find out by speaking to a Thousand Oaks divorce lawyer at Richard Ross Associates. In doing so, you can explore your legal options under the advisement of a board certified family law specialist. Not only does our firm understand the ins and outs of California's annulment laws, but we will make sure that you understand your rights, as well. We never take a one-size-fits-all approach to our practice, so you can trust that you will be given the level of attention that you deserve when you turn to our firm for help. Call our office today at (805) 410-3407 or submit a case evaluation form online to learn more about what Richard Ross Associates can do for you.

Dedicated to Client Care & Success

  • “I would not hesitate to, again, retain the legal services of Richard Ross.”

    - Richard C. M.
  • “Mr. Ross and his supportive, competent staff put their hearts into their work and literally turned our lives around.”

    - Charles C. & family
  • “The entire staff at Richard Ross Associates really helped me through my divorce and they were with me the whole way.”

    - Jerry R.
  • “Richard has helped me through a very difficult divorce and I can't say enough good things about him.”

    - Caly W.
  • “Richard Ross is a subject matter expert in the field of family law.”

    - G.G.

Why To Choose Us

  • Focused in Family Law Cases Exclusively
  • Our Attorneys are Skilled Negotiators
  • Highly Knowledgeable of Local Laws & Courts
  • Richard Ross is a Certified Family Law Specialist
  • 80 Years of Combined Legal Experience

Contact Us

Put Years of Proven Experience on Your Side
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.